Molecular mechanisms of cell division
The Canman lab works to understand the molecular mechanisms of cytokinesis, the physical division of one cell into two that occurs at the end of the cell cycle. Research in the Canman lab probes the spatiotemporal molecular regulation of cytokinesis and identifies both universal and cell specific mechanisms that promote robust cell division using the model system Caenorhabditis elegans. The lab also devotes a substantial effort to the development and implementation of new microscopy-based technologies to spatially and temporally control protein function and enable previously impossible studies on cell division in worms and other model systems.
- S.M. Hirsch, S. Sundaramoorthy, T. Davies, Y. Zhuravlev, J. Waters, M. Shirasu-Hiza, J. Dumont, and J.C. Canman. 2018. FLIRT: Fast, Local, Infrared Thermogenetics. Manuscript under review.
- T. Davies, N. Romano Spica, B. Lesea-Pringle, J. Dumont, M. Shirasu-Hiza, and J.C. Canman. 2018. Cell-intrinsic and extrinsic control of cytokinetic diversity. Manuscript under review.
- S.N. Jordan, T. Davies, Y. Zhuravlev, J. Dumont, M. Shirasu-Hiza, and J.C. Canman. 2016. Cortical PAR proteins promote robust cytokinesis during asymmetric cell division. The Journal of Cell Biology. 221:39-49.
- Y. Zhuravlev, S. Hirsch, S.N. Jordan, M. Shirasu-Hiza, J. Dumont, and J.C. Canman. 2017. CYK-4 regulates Rac, but not Rho, during cytokinesis. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 28(9):1258-1271.
- S. Sundaramoorthy, S.M. Hirsch, A.G. Badaracco, J.H. Park, T. Davies, J. Dumont, M. Shirasu-Hiza, A.C. Kummel, and J.C. Canman. 2017. Low efficiency upconversion nanoparticles for high-resolution co-alignment of near-infrared and visible light paths on a light microscope. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 9(9):7929-7940.
- T. Davies, S.N. Jordan, V. Chand, J.A. Sees, K. Laband, A.X. Carvalho, M. Shirasu-Hiza, D.R. Kovar, J. Dumont, and J.C. Canman. 2014. High-resolution temporal analysis reveals a functional timeline for the molecular regulation of cytokinesis. Developmental Cell. 30:209–223.